Why do people like the Teen Titans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Why do people like the Teen Titans?

Postby Sammy Boy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:09 am

Hello, Teen Titans is a comic, not a manga, so I guess I'm putting this thread here.

Anyway, I am honestly curious about why so many people seem to like the Teen Titans.

Is it because on some level you can relate to their teenage / growing up experiences?

I am getting old so I don't really have a handle on this aspect anymore, but would be interested to find out from Teen Titans fans. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby termyt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:14 am

So, you are talking about the comic, not the cartoon? Interesting. I know a handful of CAAers do read it.

I, myself, am an old Teen Titans fan. I've read a lot of the comics from the 80's and 90's. The Teen Titans have always been about teen angst, so I can see why they appeal to folks in different ways from Batman and Superman.

I still read the Titans comic book now, but I'm not as interested in the current cast of characters, to be honest.

Favorite Titan: Terra II - if they added her to the TT roster, I would be happy.
Favorite Story Arc: The Terra I arc. It was the first time I read of such a complete betrayal in a comic book. The multiple betrayals the Titans have suffered since have never matched the emotion of that one. They're really become rather routine.

But, I am an old man, too, so I doubt I can tell you why teens like it - or if they even like it at all.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 am

Why do people like pumpkin pie or country music?

It's all just a matter of taste. :P
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:17 am

Not badly placed, but I believe I will move it to General Entertainment.

Meanwhile, I don't feel as though I have an answer to your question.
uc pseudonym

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 pm

I am a growing DC Comics fan, but I do believe TT is my favorite series. The best answer I can give is it simply I've found it to be the most entertaining I have read. (JLA is my second fave.) Although I'll have to say the current series is my fave over the Wolfman era, although it's still a close second.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby termyt » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:55 am

*Recommends JSA to AtG out of this thread's context.*
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually been very interested in JSA but haven't got around to looking into them yet.

termyt wrote:Favorite Titan: Terra II - if they added her to the TT roster, I would be happy.

I've been speculating on this, and I think it's a good possibility, as Geoff Johns, from what I understand, has hinted that somebody is going to attempt to step in between Beast Boy and Raven, and Terra seems to be the best character for the role. Also, Terra did make a statement in the Titans of Tommorow story arc that seems to support the above theory.

Beast Boy: *to Cyborg* And you and me are supposed to be best friends. So why is MY future self stuck on the West Coast with those psychos?

Terra II: Because you refused to have anything to do with me!
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Starfire1 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:06 am

i have no idea what the cause of its appeal is. but i do enjoy the show. a lot.
Only a dead thing goes with the stream. Only a living thing can go against it.

USSRGirl wrote:>.< No. Because I say it tastes of evil. And everyone is entitled to my opinion.

"It is impossible to end hatred with hatred"-Gandi

Adopted by Mega.EXE
Adopted: KhakiBlueSocks, ShadowChild
Starfire1

Postby Corkyspaniel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:52 am

I think people (like myself) like Teen Titans because it's an excuse to let loose on a semi-under-your-age anime. After all, it has the word "teen" in its name.^_^ :dance:
Corkyspaniel

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 pm

termyt wrote:Favorite Titan: Terra II - if they added her to the TT roster, I would be happy.

Ah! I love the new Terra! She personifies what a superhero should be. They couldn't go wrong with Supergirl either, though. I've been reading the comic for a couple of years now. Since they resolved that whole Brotherblood resurrecting Raven mess. Fun stuff. A similar comic if you like TT is Invincible. The superheroes are nothing revolutionary. It's less about the heroes and more about the people behind the masks. It's a fantastic comic! My favorite.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Animus Seed » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:08 pm

For one, the writing is good. It takes a bunch of potentially mediocre, side-kick characters and makes them all viable.

I think of Superboy in particular...

Teen Titans took him from the most annoying thing about the 90s comic scene into one of my favorite characters in all fiction, period.

...which reminds me, I haven't stepped into a comic book store in, like, 3 months now.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby LittleTokyo91 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:26 pm

Though I don't watch it all the time. I think its a good show. I like shows with action heros.
No one knows what goes on inside of your head
And everything seems to be ok.
And your the same as you've always been (your the same)
If I'd listened, would you have talked to me?

I don't wanna Let You Down,
But I can't even pick up myself.
I only wanted to make you proud,
But I don't think I can do this anymore.

When did this crowded room get so lonely?
And everyone keeps looking at me.
I'm tired (so tired) of faking my life
I'm so tired, I don't wanna feel this way.
-P.O.D.
LittleTokyo91

Postby Animus Seed » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:28 pm

It should be noted that UM is asking about the actual DC comic, not the Cartoon Network show. Which I also enjoy. Just in a different way.

*wishes for animated Superboy*
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby termyt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:16 am

Animus Seed wrote:For one, the writing is good. It takes a bunch of potentially mediocre, side-kick characters and makes them all viable.

I think of Superboy in particular...

Teen Titans took him from the most annoying thing about the 90s comic scene into one of my favorite characters in all fiction, period.

...which reminds me, I haven't stepped into a comic book store in, like, 3 months now.

If you like Superboy that much, perhaps you should stay away....

[spoiler]He's dead.[/spoiler]
termyt

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:10 am

Animus Seed wrote:It should be noted that UM is asking about the actual DC comic, not the Cartoon Network show. Which I also enjoy. Just in a different way.

*wishes for animated Superboy*

You know that period in the comic where he was jetted to the future with the Leagion of Superheroes? They actually do have a cartoon for that on saturday mornings on Kids WB. I was pretty surprised.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:18 am

termyt wrote:If you like Superboy that much, perhaps you should stay away....

[spoiler]He's dead.[/spoiler]

Last I saw...

[spoiler]Robin was working on resurrecting him.[/spoiler]

I left off on the "One Year Later" 3 part.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 am

[spoiler]Yeah, he was working on resurrecting him but failing thoroughly. I really wonder if this will be the first time in comics history where someone doesn't come back despite all attempts to the contrary.[/spoiler]
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Denimcat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:00 pm

I've only seen the cartoon, but I don't get what's not to like. It's interesting enough if you're bored.
Denimcat

Postby The Doctor » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:48 pm

If they left out the Justice League in the TT universe and set it up as an alternate universe story, it would be much better. As it currently is, I see it as an inplausible child's storyline trying to take itself seriously and failing.

That's why I like the Teen Titans animated series on Cartoon Network much better than the comic book series because they took the approach I suggested. It's an alternate universe storyline where there's no Superman, Batman, or Justice League at all. Plus, the show doesn't take itself TOO seriously all the time.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:58 pm

I was wondering where the adults were during the Brotherhood of Evil storyline in Season Five...

[spoiler]I was like, "Hmm...you know, all these teen superheroes are disappearing...wouldn't that cause the adults to get involved AT ALL?"[/spoiler]

But it's not like I don't like the series at all. I find it entertaining (or else I wouldn't have an avatar from it). It's just the comics that I find a little too..."mature" for me, or at least, it delves into stuff I'd rather not read about. I'm sort of a "play-it-safe with media" kind of person...you know, read reviews, ask friends, and such.
AsianBlossom

Return to General Entertainment