What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Vampire Knight vol. 14: Wow. That was... unexpected. [spoiler]I mean, I'm pretty sure I get the gist of what Kaname's 'original plan' was and is, but I have absolutely no idea why *that* particular character had to die as part of it! :wow!: He seemed really accepting, though :eyebrow:, so I hope that at some point the discussion that the two of them had will be revealed, and that there was indeed a really good reason for it-- because otherwise... :shake:[/spoiler]

And Dengeki Daisy vol. 10: This volume was fantastic. :) [spoiler]Things are really progressing nicely, both with the characters' relationships and also with the main plot. Also, as part of that, the real meaning of what Soichiro had said to Kurosaki just before he died was finally elaborated on a bit, and of course it ended up being nothing like what it sounded on the surface. :) (Soichiro was truly amazing. :hug:) And that also connected up with the events in the present, as it appears that Kurosaki is going to try to save Akira as Soichiro saved him. Also, this volume dug just a little deeper into the conspiracy stuff, and added a new wrinkle into the mix with Rena's arranged fiancee.[/spoiler] And, of course, the characters themselves-- as well as the series' purposeful twisting of cliches :evil:-- were as excellent as ever. :grin: Totally looking forward to the next volume! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 am

Shikabane Hime Wow, the anime really messed up the story so badly...I could weep for the poor mangaka that got his story ruined.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:14 am

SierraLea (post: 1576916) wrote:Three or four of the series I'm reading are giving me grief. My library doesn't carry the second half, and it's really annoying, because they all ended on cliff hangers! Now I have to try to read them all online, and it's a major pain to find good sites, even though I did manage to find one for Gakuen Alice.

Part of the Gakuen Alice problem is because it's a Tokyopop title, and they closed shop after v 16, while the manga is still ongoing.

Socrates in Love (oneshot) - Ehhhh.... Kinda dull.
Atria35

Postby KnightOfFive » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 am

Naruto chapter 593
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 44-45: Good as always. :)

And Arisa vol. 8: Holy crap. :pikka: [spoiler]He actually killed someone?! :wow!: I mean, I knew that guy was almost completely unhinged, but I wasn't expecting an actual murder! Wow.

Plus, it appears that the identity of the real, true King has finally been revealed once and for all-- and yep, I knew it. It makes perfect sense. (Man, was I right to refuse to trust that character!)[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby SierraLea » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

I just finished volume 7 of Death Note. There were some pictures in there that totally creeped me out.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Rock n' Roll Ricky (AKA: RRR). It's about a 34 year old wannabe rock musician strapping on some boxing gloves. The storyline is cheesy yet honest. . It's very short at around 10 volumes (around 110 chapters I think) and is definitely a good read for anyone who likes boxing.
Neane

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:58 am

D.Gray-man chapters 8-13
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Read volume 5 of NG Life--man, this was really hilarious, but also very moving!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby SierraLea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Fullmoon. She reminds me so much of myself! I couldn't live without music either.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Bleach chapter 502 since the anime is over. Also, .Hack volume
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle, volume 9.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Cadence » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 pm

I've had a lot of free time lately, so I've been reading a lot of manga...

I recently finished reading Please Save My Earth. It was a really fantastic story, with a very satisfactory ending - definitely worth a read. It was interesting to watch the art evolve throughout it as well, and the sense of humor really clicked with me, especially all the breaking of the fourth wall. The only thing I really had an issue with was the portrayal of the "love" between the two main leads, which was completely selfish from both sides and didn't seem like real love at all...it was all "I want you so I will be happy even if it makes you miserable in the process" and it really annoyed me. Maybe I'm too idealistic, but still...

I also recently finished The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross which I thought was awful, and Pluto, which didn't leave much of an impression. I thought "that was...pretty good..." and then moved on to the next thing.

Since I had the time, I also re-read a couple of my favorites I've been meaning to go through again for a while now - thirteen volumes of Amatsuki and twelve of Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic. Both titles I like better and better the more times I read them. This time around in Magi I ended up liking some of the supporting characters a lot more than I did the first time I read it - *cough Cassim cough* - and I found the earlier chapters to be way more enjoyable than the first time I read through them. I spent a long time =( =( =( ing over volume 8 of Amatsuki. I'm unhealthily invested in some of these characters.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

D.Gray-man chapters 14-18

I'm also caught up with Silver Spoon, at chapter 47 now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:54 pm

After reading Appleseed, I have to say that Shirow Masamune's works practically exist to be adapted to other mediums. He's a lovely artist and a brilliant world-builder, but a awful storyteller. I really like his character designs, his earlier stories of M66 and Appleseed are quite entertaining and I greatly enjoyed the never-adapted-for-anime Orion manga, but his worlds get so complex that he seems to lose all control over what he wants to say after he starts telling a story.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 am

Suicide Island v 1-4- This is something I started a while ago, forgot about, and finally got a chance to pick back up. Mature readers only, since it's definitely a dark title. Japan decides that for repeat suicide attempts, they give the option of giving up their rights to life.... on Japan. They wake up on an abandoned island, forced to stay there since they signed away their rights to be citizens of Japan and without a nation, are no longer able to really go anywhere ot do anything. Some finish themselves off right away. Others find a new lease on life after really seeing the aftermath of death and suicide. There's infighting, dealing with malnutrition, even an escape attempt. All in all, very exciting - and I'm not even finished with it yet.

Devil and Her Love Song v 1-3- Interesting, though not my favorite manga. She's like Haruhi on steroids, cutting through the crud people tell themselves. Those who are strong enough to stand it end up liking her and becoming her friends. Most... have a harder time with it and ostracize her.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:26 am

D.Gray-man chapters 19-21

Silver Spoon chapter 48

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby paperhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

FMA Vol. 12 after a long hiatus from reading the series. And vol 1 of Nana....which is kind of creeping me out. The art is pretty good though.
This isn't really manga, but I'm also reading Infinite Kung Fu by Kagan McLeod. It contains mostly Kung Fu, good looking guys, zombies, and possibly the best and most "fun" inking I have ever seen. *resists dog-earing the library's copy*
paperhunter

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

paperhunter (post: 1582019) wrote: And vol 1 of Nana....which is kind of creeping me out. The art is pretty good though.*

If it will calm your nerves, it's not a yuri in any way, shape, or form. They have a deep friendship, and I believe the focus in v 1 is on the NANA that is so eager for love that she makes all the wrong decisions. She pays for it later in the series, but part of the series is about her growing and learning from these mistakes.

Reread Hoshi no Samidare v 1. Yeah, this is still some interesting stuff.
Atria35

Postby paperhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Atria35 (post: 1582041) wrote:If it will calm your nerves, it's not a yuri in any way, shape, or form. They have a deep friendship, and I believe the focus in v 1 is on the NANA that is so eager for love that she makes all the wrong decisions. She pays for it later in the series, but part of the series is about her growing and learning from these mistakes.

Thanks for the reassurance - I won't lie, I'm a bit relieved. I always seem to have bad luck picking out manga.
[SIZE="1"]"The more kinds of people you see, and the more things you do, and the more things that happen to you, the richer you are. Even if they're not pleasant things. That is living. Remember, no matter what happens, good or bad, it is just so much velvet." - Simeon Peake[/SIZE]
paperhunter

Postby paperhunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 am

It definitely does help, thanks. *relief*
[SIZE="1"]"The more kinds of people you see, and the more things you do, and the more things that happen to you, the richer you are. Even if they're not pleasant things. That is living. Remember, no matter what happens, good or bad, it is just so much velvet." - Simeon Peake[/SIZE]
paperhunter

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Read the second chapter of Shugo Chara! vol.2

This is such a cute, cute manga. I mean....the guardian characters are soooooo kawaii! CHIBI FTW!!!!!!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 46-48: Great as usual. :thumb:

La Corda d'Oro vol. 16: Meh, still really only continuing to read this for the music-commitment aspect, as I've mentioned before (though, granted, it was nice to see Len show some semblance of emotion here :P). Just one more volume left to go now...

And, finally, Dawn Of The Arcana vol. 5: Well, well-- this volume contained several nice little surprises: First, I wasn't expecting that much humor in the beginning :lol::lol:; and second, I wasn't expecting [spoiler]*Cain* to be the one leading the attack, nor the fact that he was so deeply broken and lost. Unfortunately-- Nakaba's visions aside-- I highly doubt he's going to survive beyond the next chapter or two.[/spoiler] Nice cliffhanger, too. Looking forward to the next volume. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby AdriTan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Wild Ones! It's pretty funny and great! I love it so far! Right now I'm on book seven.
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm

KissWood 1-3- It beats Avatar (the one with the blue aliens) out in how awesome it is. Environmentalist? Just a tad, but it's more for a metaphor of human relationships. And it's simply a stunningly told story.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:41 pm

The first volume of Codename: Sailor V.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 pm

D.Gray-man chapters 22-25

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 49: Hahaha, the cell phone thing was awesome. :lol: Great chapter all-around.

Also, Pandora Hearts vol. 11: This was excellent! :jump: [spoiler]Oh man, that humor in the beginning-- I totally LOL'd at what Oz shouted at Elliot and then Elliot's ensuing expression! :lol:

As for the more serious stuff: First, I have to admit that when I started reading the series I was not expecting to get as attached to Break as I have become over the past couple of vol.'s, and I've been sincerely hoping that he would somehow manage to survive the series (though unfortunately I know it's highly unlikely that he will :(). So I think I felt exactly like Reim did at that revelation about Break's condition in this volume.

Other plot-related stuff of note: I love how complex this story is, and how it continually reveals new layers about both the past and present while still moving the story forward-- like the (actually pretty chilling) new layer about the "Queen Of Hurts" in this volume, for example.

Also: Yes, Vincent appeared, and yes, he was as much of a snake as ever, but said appearance was mercifully short, so that was good. :P (I am pretty concerned for Ada, though...)

So, yeah, in all I really enjoyed this volume, and can't wait for the next![/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Loveless v 1- Well, this really just dumps into the main storyline and doesn't even bother to explain things. And the main doesn't ASK for them to be explained when he really shouldn't have a darn clue about what's going on! wtf?!
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Just read vol 1-2 of The Earl and the Fairy: So far, it's awesome! It's about a fairy doctor in the 18th century who is hired to help the heir of an Earl find a magical sword. It may sound cheesy, but it's actually really good!
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews