What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Last night, I read a webmanga called Strange Japanese School Days: Sibling Maniac. It was actually quite amusing, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, despite a couple things.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu May 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Utahime: I think this could have been even better had it gone on a bit longer-- to flesh out the slightly-rushed feel of the finale, for example :) -- but as it is, it was certainly good.

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 37-38: The training, LOL!!! :lol:

And Akagami no Shirayuki Hime chapter 33: Great chapter! I'm looking forward to this next phase of the story. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm

MangaRocks! (post: 1554773) wrote:Utahime: I think this could have been even better had it gone on a bit longer-- to flesh out the slightly-rushed feel of the finale, for example :) -- but as it is, it was certainly good.

Yes. Someone starting to read the manga that Aki has made. Utahime is good beginner stuff when it comes to reading the manga that Aki makes.
Neane

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 5-6
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cadence » Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I finally finished Tamura Yumi's Basara, which is a fantastic story, though unfortunately a few glaring flaws and details that I personally found really grating held it back from reaching its full potential and make it hard to recommend to many people. Asagi was great, though. I really loved his character. [spoiler]I guess I like messed up sickos[/spoiler]

Thanks to Atria, I also had the chance to read the first two volumes of the Sailor Moon manga. It is my first time experiencing the story in manga form, but I did watch the anime when I was younger; I'm kind of surprised by how rapidly the story moves and by how all the character development is non-existent in the manga. Takeuchi Naoko's art is very charming, though, and it is definitely bringing back some nice memories.

I picked up the first three volumes of Claymore from the library (finally getting around to reading it). It is an interesting concept, and certainly has a lot of potential, but I feel like the execution is lacking - it was a very underwhelming experience. I'll probably continue on, but if it remains the same I don't really see the point of following it for much longer.

I also zipped through the first half of Slam Dunk! recently - best manga choice I have ever made. It is definitely one of the best manga I have ever read - it is addicting, well paced, charming, and funny. I like sports stories in general, but this one just stands out above the rest. I can definitely see why it has been so popular for so long.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Neane » Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Cadence (post: 1555492) wrote:
I picked up the first three volumes of Claymore from the library (finally getting around to reading it). It is an interesting concept, and certainly has a lot of potential, but I feel like the execution is lacking - it was a very underwhelming experience. I'll probably continue on, but if it remains the same I don't really see the point of following it for much longer.

When I read Claymore...the first 90 chapters were neat, but then it drops in quality, IMHO.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Since I will be getting rid of it soon (AAA! I hate those words!), I zoomed through Ouran Host Club v 1-17 over the last few days. This does become more of a typical shoujo near the end, but never crosses the line into 'average' or 'boring' simply by virtue of a few of the stereotypes still being subverted via the character's personalities and actions. I'd love to see a special volume with Hunny and the spooky girl getting together- that totally is where that is going.
Atria35

Postby Tigerchu » Mon May 07, 2012 12:24 am

Hikaru no go, Naruto, One Piece
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby SierraLea » Mon May 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Again, I have a huge list of titles I'm reading.
Naruto
The Tale of Saionara
Pandora Hearts
Otomen
The Gentlemen's Alliance
S. A.
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Gakuen Alice
Tsubasa
SierraLea

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon May 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Just re-read volume 3 of Kimi ni Todoke. This manga has to be THE CUTEST ever! I used to not liek this volume very much, but after reading it after awhile, I really, really LIKE IT!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

More Astro Boy, v 11-14- finally, at least! Still good, rather poigniant on certain arcs but hasn't reached the Vietnam-War-level of sorrow that the previous volumes did.
Atria35

Postby Cadence » Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Due to being sick and in bed all day, I had the chance to finish Slam Dunk today. Best thing I've read in a long time, and it deserves 10/10 all the way...even though it's only the fifth time I've handed out that score to a manga. I think I was crying through the entire last volume...and a half.
Nadia (post: 1555716) wrote:Woohoo! I’m so happy that you’re enjoying it, so far. ^_^ Slam Dunk is my absolute favourite manga series of all time, and I’m always glad to see and hear of other people discovering and enjoying it, also. Got a favourite character and team yet?
Ooh, I was a Shohoku fan all the way, though I liked Kainan a lot as well. Miyagi was probably my favorite character over all, because I'm short and I like it when short people kick butt *shallow shallow* and I like dorky characters. I liked Mitsui a lot as well, and of course Sakuragi was great.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby rocklobster » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 am

I have the first three volumes of Maison Ikkoku from the library and am reading them for an upcoming feature on Lobster Quadrille that will be starting in July. I call it Manga by Volume, and I'm going to go through every volume of a particular manga.
For those who don't know, Maison Ikkoku is created by Rumiko Takahashi, of Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 fame. This was published before both of those (It's her second major creation, right after Urusei Yatsura.) It's a romantic comedy about a college student who falls in love with his widowed landlady, Kyoko Otonashi. It's very well-drawn and there's some legitimately funny moments. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see Takahashi at her best.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 am

Astro Boy v 13-16- Still very good. Some storylines are better than others, but that's to be expected!

Shugo Chara v 1-5- Another one I'd better finish up!
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 am

Shugo Chara v 1-12 (complete) - This was adorable and sugar-sweet in all the right places. Still one of my favorite shoujo.

Miki Falls v 1-4 (complete)- Got ahold of this on recommendation, and I'm seriously impressed with it. Maybe I'm a sucker for supernatural romances, but this felt like a fairly realized world and people in it, and the only thing I'd like to see are some extras on the system, how it works, how it's passed on, the personal lives of most Deliverers... Okay, I want the setting expanded on, and I'm not sure that the ending was as well-integrated as it could have been. However, it still was awesome. Doubly so for an OEL.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

I have recently been reading more of the manga Barefoot Gen by Keiji Nakazawa, which is absolutely required reading for... basically anyone, on account of being, as a semi-autobiographical account of life in Japan during and after World War 2 and in particular the nuclear attacks, one of the most historically significant manga of all time. Just brace yourself, because it will kick your a** emotionally, again and again and again. It's not subtle. At all.
Neane

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Reading volume 8 of Tsubasa Chronicle.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 7-8

Gin no Saji chapter 39
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Just read Eternal Sabbath. I don't understand why so many people rave about this manga.
Neane

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon May 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 39: Great as ever. :grin:

Bamboo Blade vol. 12: Not much to say about this. It's not great, and not bad, just... average. :P There are only 2 more volumes to go, though; I'll finish the series.

The Bride Of The Water God vol. 10: Ah, interesting-- certain plot points were clarified a bit here, and some other elements seem to be coming to a head as well. Looking forward to the next volume.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:45 pm

I've restarted One Piece and I am on chapter 62. I am so glad I restarted it, even if I feel like the arcs are dragged out sometimes.
Zeldafan2

Postby Maokun » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 pm

rocklobster (post: 1556045) wrote:It's very well-drawn and there's some legitimately funny moments. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see Takahashi at her best.

I have lots of praises for Takahashi's works, but "well-drawn" has never been one of them 0_o (though I'm fond of her character design.)

Neane (post: 1556822) wrote:I have recently been reading more of the manga Barefoot Gen by Keiji Nakazawa, which is absolutely required reading for... basically anyone, on account of being, as a semi-autobiographical account of life in Japan during and after World War 2 and in particular the nuclear attacks, one of the most historically significant manga of all time. Just brace yourself, because it will kick your a** emotionally, again and again and again. It's not subtle. At all.

There's a great movie made of this. Check it out.

I've been reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou up to volume 7 and Mahou Sensei Negima up to volume 5. Both of them suddenly shifted gears -just in time in Negima's case which I was all but ready to drop for good. In YKK's case it's also very welcome as the series had been wallowing in too-comfortable waters for a while, which in hindsight I now think was intentional to give the game-changing event in volume 7 full impact. Things are now decidedly moving forward in both manga.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Samurai Girl All Bout Highschool v 1-6- It's.... uh.... Well, if you like action this has plenty, and if you like fanservice it has that as well. Characters are pretty flat, and the plot goes over a cliff in the last two volumes.

Saint Tail v 1-5 - this is adorable. Definitely a shoujo for the younger set, but it's pretty adorable.
Atria35

Postby metolosophy » Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm rereading Kuroshitsuji because my friend just got all of the volumes available and the first time I read it online.
And- I just finished Hetalia for the 9000th time. I can't wait for the next volume to come out! ^L^
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby seaglass27 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:19 am

I am on volume four of Elfen Lied.
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 am

Saint Tail v 6-7- Actual story ended in v 6, 7 was just extras. Adorable series, but I'm not sure how I feel about that ending...

Shaman Warrior v 1-6- This is one. intense. series. Lots of action and drama, and the story is very compelling. I'm also totally up for the political intrigue it's setting up.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1558626) wrote:I am on volume four of Elfen Lied.

That's around where I dropped the thing and never looked back.

Question to the Gintama readers: yo know if the anime is any good? I often prefer the animated version over the manga as long as it's well done and mostly faithful to the story, so I need to know how does Gintama anime compares.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Kiraliralai » Sat May 19, 2012 6:06 am

I just started re-reading Oresama Teacher
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkSlateBlue"]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________[/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]I'm made of bones of the branches, the boughs and the brow beading light. While my feet are the trunks and my head is the canopy high. And my fingers extend to the eaves and the leaves on high. Bright I shine. It's my shine.[/color][color="Indigo"] - The Decemberists[/color]

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Apres moi, le deluge[/color] [color="DarkOrchid"]- Regina Spektor[/color]

[color="Lime"]I still ain't bovvered[/color]! [color="SeaGreen"]- Lauren Cooper[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"]Because I can.[/color] [color="Sienna"]- Ryan Sohmer[/color]
Kiraliralai

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Kitchen Princess v 7-10- I had started and dropped this a while ago. Now I'm back, and this isn't that bad. Still a tad dull, but not bad.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 am

Shoukoku no Altair chapter 9

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews