What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Finished Toradora! volume 3
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

20th Century Boys volume one
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Queen's Knight 1-4- This ran for 17 volumes? Really? Wow. Angsty, immature teen romance to the max. It has some small benefits to make me keep reading but overall I wouldn't read it again.

Butterflies, Flowers 1-2- Wow. This is some super-fantasized teenage romance, except with adults. And a tsundere guy.

Kamichama Karin 5-6- Still adorable. But I don't know how this will resolve in one more volume.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Cyber Idol Mink and Yamato Gensouki.
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Finished Kamichama Karin- decent, not great, had some fabulously funny lines. Tripped into mahou shoujo cliches near the end... and also had an ending eerily similar to Tsubasa Chronicle.

Shirahime Syo- an early CLAMP work, but not that impressive. Loved the art- looked like old ink painings- but the stories here were sadly lacking. They got progressively better as it went on, but with three stories, that isn't saying much.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Hikaru no Go (complete): I'd actually started reading this a good while ago, but had to pause for a bit partway through because the library needed to reacquire some missing volumes. Now they did, and I finally just finished it. :) As for my thoughts on the series? Well, I had the exact same reaction to it that I'd seen pretty much everyone else have, in that originally I was kinda wondering how 23 volumes of people playing some board game that I had no clue about (albeit an insanely strategic one :)) could be interesting, but gave it a shot because those same people said that it actually ended up being really good (and, of course, the art having been drawn by Obata-sensei didn't hurt, either ;)). And what do you know-- as it turns out, everyone was exactly right! :thumb: It's a great series, and one that I'd easily recommend to pretty much anyone.

Also, Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 21: Great chapter. Started off as one of the funniest with all of those taste reactions :lol:, then ended quite seriously and sincerely. [spoiler](And good for Hachiken-- had I made the same mistake, I would not have wanted to accept the money, either. It'll be interesting to see their reactions-- though I do have some ideas, LOL. :grin:)[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Read Dogs: Prelude, Vol. 0. It was quite good.
Neane

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Fairy Tail chapter 261: [spoiler]I'm glad we get to see the Tenrou gang train during the three months than another timeskip.

I'm more surprised that Natsu wanted to peep in the hot springs though. I thought he was oblivious about girls. :lol:[/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Angel Diary 1-3- A lackluster start, but it's getting better! I don't like the suddenness of transitions between POVs, though, and I'm not sure I get what exactly is going on, which isn't a good thing for a 13 volume series.
Atria35

Postby Popyman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

I haven't read any manga in a while. :( I need to fix that.
Popyman

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I re-read volumes 4-6 of FMA (since I bought the omnibus). I love how FMA is so re-readable <333
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Swan v 1-4- Wow. This is everything I wanted and more than I expected in a manga about ballet. The story is intense, the artwork downright breathtaking in places... I am SO SAD that they only released 15 of the 20 volumes of this manga (CMX went down before they could finish)! I don't care that it was published in the 70's, I would totally own it. And I am so ticked that I can't finish it... there aren't even any scanlations!
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapter 118-128

:wow!: How did this manga get so cool all of a sudden?! AND WHY DID IT TAKE THIS LONG?!!! :mutter:

[spoiler]I was not expecting the Syaoran we know to be the clone, nor for him to eat Fai's eye to absorb his magic power, nor for Kurogane to care so much, nor for Fai to become a freaking vampire :wow!:[/spoiler]
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Toradora! vol 1
Boys Over Flowers vol 1. So far I like the drama better.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Umbreon0 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Currently reading both Naruto and Code Geass. I was reading Bakuman, but my library has only up to volume 3. I'm hoping to get 4 and 5 for Christmas, though.

I'm on volume 5 of Code Geass, and volume 10 on Naruto.
Umbreon0

Postby Neane » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Read Bitter Virgin. WOW.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Neane (post: 1519521) wrote:Read Bitter Virgin. WOW.

Yeah, that's one heckuva story!

Swan 4-8- Still excelent all around.
Fushigi Yugi 1-8- Has hints of a deeper story underneath the romcom elements. Wondering if will be expanded on.
Angel Diary 4-6- Still not really impressed, finding it more blah as I go on
The One I Love- one-shot. Lovely, lovely story.
Miracle Girls 1-9 (complete)- Brings back all the great memories of series like Sweet Valley Twins and Sister, Sister, without ruining my nostalgia for them like going back to re-read them would.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm

20th century boys volume 2. Great manga, should have read it sooner
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby CrystalChalice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 am

Fairy Tail chapter 262: [spoiler]I admit to laughing at the end when Team Natsu found out that "1 Celestial Spirit World day = 3 Earthland months," but it was sweet that Lucy's spirits gave her a homecoming party. Also, army of Plues. It can't get any cuter than that. As for their training...well, at least the other Tenrou members were busy with their time. :lol:[/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:44 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1516601) wrote:Skip Beat! Chapter 182.
I'm getting a little tired of the roles that Ren and Kyoko are playing, hopefully this arc will wrap up soon. (And I also hope that at the end of it, Kyoko will realize her feelings for Ren.)

Hahaha, amen to that! :) I think the "characters" they're playing now are my least favorite, since they're so bizarre it feels like any development in their relationship during it is fake. I'm also really hoping she'll realize SOMETHING through this though ;) and if Ren could come to grips his dark side and get control over it in the same blow, fantastic! :thumb:

Hm.... I caught up in several just recently. Pandora Hearts, amazing as always... Skip Beat, Dengeki Daisy... Faster then a Kiss... Love so Life... all good :)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1519278) wrote:Tsubasa Chronicle chapter 118-128

:wow!: How did this manga get so cool all of a sudden?! AND WHY DID IT TAKE THIS LONG?!!! :mutter:

[spoiler]I was not expecting the Syaoran we know to be the clone, nor for him to eat Fai's eye to absorb his magic power, nor for Kurogane to care so much, nor for Fai to become a freaking vampire :wow!:[/spoiler]

I wasn't expecting all that either. CLAMP was genius in how they messed with our heads. The clues were there, but hard to decipher, and you only understand it AFTER that revelation XD!! But be warned; from here on out, TRC gets even deeper and darker! (But still remains an amazing story! <333) If you thought that was shocking, wait 'till CLAMP reveals MORE secrets!

Speaking of CLAMP, I bought volume 1 of Gate 7, their latest series! (Been waiting for this one). Artwork as beautiful as ever, it's like a mesh of the style of Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC, and Kobato. Even the character designs are a sort of mesh of familiar faces. The main guy looks like a cross between Syaoran and Watanuki, and the main girl, Hana, looks like a cross between Hikaru, Yuzuriha, and a younger looking Yuuko.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused as to what's going on, so far anyway. But it's CLAMP, it'll probably make more sense to me later on as the series progresses. I'm just as lost as the main character, anyway XD!! I wouldn't call this a strong start to their latest series, but the ending has me IN SUSPENSE! What's gonna happen next?! *volume 2 better not take long to release*

My favorite character is Hana. She's so cute with an adorable personality, with similiar innocence to Chi.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 129-134

Everything is so similar, yet so different.....
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Vampire Game v 1-5- I like this more than I should. It just hits a lot of things that I enjoy in my manga. Duzel is both adorable and hilarious, and I like how the princess is forward about her feelings. No bucking around with that.

Hour of the Mice v 1-4 (complete)- Not as engaging as I thought it would be once I finally finished it. Definitely a good manga, but it's a character drama, not a mystery, though it has those elements.
Atria35

Postby Neko-Hime » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:54 pm

I just started Gate 7, as well! I love it so far; I'm a history nerd and it's great to have a manga that appeals to that as well as my... well, screaming fangirl side. xD (TACHIBANAAAAAAA)
CLAMP is up to their old tricks with character designs again-- Tachibana looks just like Subaru; Chikahito, Watanuki (in looks and personality, hurr); and Hana, Hikaru. (Not to mention Hidetsugu's resemblance to Seishirou; my brother actually thought he was the Sakurazukamoriholycowlongword.)
Sakura (a MANLY BLOND Sakura) is pretty unique, though. xD

I also started Dengeki Daisy; it's pretty funny, but it might be too suggestive for my tastes. xD We'll see how that goes.
Neko-Hime

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Finished reading some Higurashi; Beyond Midnight arc and Curse Killing arc.

Neko-Hime (post: 1520905) wrote:Sakura (a MANLY BLOND Sakura) is pretty unique, though. xD

XD!!!!! I find it weird how a guy could be named Sakura, though. Honestly, what guy would admit to such things. "Hi, my name is Cherry Blossom!" XD!!

AnimeGirl

Postby Neko-Hime » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 am

[quote="AnimeGirl (post: 1520945)"]Finished reading some Higurashi]

I found it absolutely hysterical at first (ROFLSakura whatkindofmandoes hethinkheis) but it turns out that Sakura and Tachibana have historical significance! xP I sure felt like a derp for laughing about that afterwards. A sakura tree and a tachibana tree are planted on either side of the Heian Palace. They both carry some symbolic meaning (strength and strategy, I think), but I can't remember what it is. xD Anyway, there is a reason.
Neko-Hime

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:55 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1520945) wrote:XD!!!!! I find it weird how a guy could be named Sakura, though. Honestly, what guy would admit to such things. "Hi, my name is Cherry Blossom!" XD!!

No weirder than a guy named Alison or something like that (my grandpa was named Alison because 100 years ago, it was a guy's name). Keep in mind that there are strong historical themes that go into Gate 7, and we Americans don't have a good idea of the historical culture of Japan, and Sakura could very well have been a masculine name at one point. And, as Neko-Hime points out, there's also very important significance to the sakura tree that no doubt is played out in the story because of this.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Atria35 (post: 1521036) wrote:No weirder than a guy named Alison or something like that (my grandpa was named Alison because 100 years ago, it was a guy's name). Keep in mind that there are strong historical themes that go into Gate 7, and we Americans don't have a good idea of the historical culture of Japan, and Sakura could very well have been a masculine name at one point. And, as Neko-Hime points out, there's also very important significance to the sakura tree that no doubt is played out in the story because of this.

Hmmm...makes sense. The translation notes did also say something about Sakura meaning "wise" or something to that effect. Plus for all I know, it's possible that name is unisex (I doubt I spelled that right, huh?)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1521095) wrote:Hmmm...makes sense. The translation notes did also say something about Sakura meaning "wise" or something to that effect. Plus for all I know, it's possible that name is unisex (I doubt I spelled that right, huh?)

You spelled it correctly. What was in the notes is that Sakura and the other guy's names had super-important significance because of the trees used in a certain ceremony back in the day. It seems that those names are playng off of that, and have been chosen because of that significance.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Decided to check out Dawn Of The Arcana (a.k.a. Reimei no Arcana) vol. 1, and... well, it wasn't bad. Not great-- there were plenty of little nitpicks I had with it-- but not bad. Though pretty much the only two reasons I'll continue reading it via library (at least for a few more volumes, anyway) is, #1, to see more of the Ajin, particularly Loki (I always did have a soft spot for people with animal traits! :hug:;)); and #2, I heard the [spoiler]power-to-see-through-time stuff[/spoiler] is going to get a bit more of a focus as it goes on. If it weren't for those two things, however, I probably wouldn't care very much right now. :sweat:

Moving on...

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 22-23: As for the former, yep, I pretty much figured that would be how they'd react with the whole money situation; and as for the latter, LOL, the stuff after coming back to the school was hilarious! :lol: Ah, poor Hachiken, though-- he's still attached to 'Pork Bowl'... :sweat:

Dengeki Daisy vol. 7: Another great volume in this series, and with only a minimal amount of edginess, too. :grin::thumb: [spoiler]The hacker/conspiracy stuff is continuing to ramp up a bit as well, which is always a plus; and the end of this volume finally employs a certain dramatic plot device that I figured would probably happen at some point. One of the great things about this manga, however, is that even when a well-used plot device has been included, there's always been a really nice twist on it (and this one was no exception). Looking forward to the next volume![/spoiler] Finally, Kimi ni Todoke vol. 11: Oh man, what more can I say about this series than has already been said? It's clean, and sweet, and funny, and romantic, and really just plain great! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews