What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby ebonyrose » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Atria35 (post: 1513883) wrote:Scanlation sites are illegal, period, whether or not the manga is licensed. They don't pay for the rights to host the manga from their creators, thereby ignoring copyright. So it's kind of up to the individual concience to use them.

Many thanks for letting me know. ^_^

So, where can one legally find unlicensed manga, in that case?
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:12 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1513894) wrote:Many thanks for letting me know. ^_^

So, where can one legally find unlicensed manga, in that case?

You can't. If it's unlicensed, then the copyright has not been paid for to be used. That's why it's 'unlicensed'.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm

R.O.D ( read or dream ) volume one
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:41 am

Genshiken v 1-2- Crude but funny. I'm not sure whether some of it is outright making fun of the Otaku community or not, but it's pretty hilarious anyway.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:48 am

Genshiken pokes fun at it (I mean, it's a comedy), but it's definitely a story about otaku for otaku. It'll become more clear once Sasahara develops more as it goes on. And there are a ton of references and shoutouts to things that you have to be deep in the culture to get.
blkmage

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Fairy Tail chapter 258: Things are getting really interesting now. Can't wait to see how this will develop.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Yotsuba&! XD shes soooo cuuute!!!! and dang it! there better be a romance in this manga too! I don't want to be disapointed like I was with azumanga daioh!
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Seto_Sora (post: 1514340) wrote:Yotsuba&! XD shes soooo cuuute!!!! and dang it! there better be a romance in this manga too! I don't want to be disapointed like I was with azumanga daioh!

Think about it- if there was romance, who would it be with? Stop hoping and just enjoy the ride.

Genshiken 4-5
Atria35

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Atria35 (post: 1514347) wrote:Think about it- if there was romance, who would it be with? Stop hoping and just enjoy the ride.

Genshiken 4-5

:sweat: Asagi and Jumbo :sweat:
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Vii » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 am

Silver Spoon ch. 19
Vii

Postby ebonyrose » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Seto_Sora (post: 1514340) wrote:Yotsuba&! XD shes soooo cuuute!!!! and dang it! there better be a romance in this manga too! I don't want to be disapointed like I was with azumanga daioh!

O____o

*curls up in a corner and cries*

And I'm reading Clannad. Because it was about time I started reading Clannad. *shrug*
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1514542) wrote:*curls up in a corner and cries*

And I'm reading Clannad. Because it was about time I started reading Clannad. *shrug*

Reading instead of watching? Depending on whether you like this one, I might give both versions a shot (since the anime came first, I feel like I should do that one before I do the manga).

Genshiken 6-7- Two more volumes and I will be ready to write my review. So far... *thumbs up* It's pretty heavy on the fanservice on this one, but the overall manga has some pretty serious life stuff going on, tempered with the humor, rather than the other way around. It's fascinating when there's so much going on in subtext and backgrounds other than what's being said outright.
Atria35

Postby ebonyrose » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 am

Atria35 (post: 1514605) wrote:Reading instead of watching? Depending on whether you like this one, I might give both versions a shot (since the anime came first, I feel like I should do that one before I do the manga).

Didn't know that, or else I would have watched first. O_o

Hehe, now I need to find something to read. xD
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 am

Finished Genshiken. I have to admit, for all the lightheartedness, this is really a story about navigating life, and it has that certain je na sais quoi that really drew me in. I'm going to be chewing on this one for a bit, because for all intents and purposes, I probably shouldn't like this as much as I do because of the good amount of fanservice and a lot of the joking among the guys. But I do like it, and think that I'd rate it a 9/10 at the moment.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Read

Black Jack v 1-4- I like this SO much better than the TV series! Pinoko isn't as prominent (I can't even begin to say how much I dislike her character) and I don't have to listen to her voice, which made me want to spork out my ears. This also manages to really pack a punch with the stories. Some I was more fond of than others, some seemed repetitive to eachother, but they all are really enjoyable.

Land of the Blindfolded 7- Had to put this one down for a few days since my library doesn't have the 9th volume. Now that I have it, gonna finish!

Aparently the person who buys manga for the library is fond of CLAMP, because I found the first volume of Gate 7 in the shelves! Shocked, because this is a *very* recent release- perhaps only a month ago or so.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:13 pm

THe Big Adventures of Majoka v 1-5- Really cute. I don't like it as much as Happy Happy Clover, but still a great kid's manga.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:46 pm

One Piece volumes 24-25
Cage of Eden volume 1
Kekkaishi volume 1

Had quite a bit of time at the bookstore today, so I burned through quite a bit of stuff. One Piece is One Piece, which really means it's great. Luffy curbstomping Bellamy was kind of awesome and Blackbeard is also awesome. Kekkaishi is a pretty neat shonen action title I've been pretty hyped about, and the first volume was pretty decent. Cage of Eden was much more unique than Kekkaishi, but ultimately it fell kind of flat. It also has quite a bit of fanservice, if that's an issue for you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:00 am

Fairy Tail chapter 259: [spoiler]I found Gildarts shifting the Guildmaster title to Makarov hilarious. He will never get the chance to retire, will he?:grin:
But it's sweet that he reinstated Laxus back in the guild.

And soon enough, we're gonna find out why Porlyusica hates humans.
[/spoiler]

Silver Spoon chapter 20: Hachiken's brother seems like really cool guy, but I wouldn't let him cook food for me.:lol: His phone call with their parents, though, is making me curious to what they, especially the father, are like.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.

CrystalChalice

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 112-114 - Oooooh, more hints at what Fai's cheery facade is hiding! And I can't wait to find out what the deal is with Syaoran *rubs hands gleefully*

Gin no Saji chapters 19-20 - I find it quite amusing to observe the differences in the brotherly relationship in this manga and that of Edward and Alphonse Elric in FMA.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I just finally finished Trigun! That was a long and dark series... -_- with such a bitter/sweet ending! I loved it! Anyway, I'm also reading Yu-Gi-Oh, I'm half way through vol. 1.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Adorima » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Seto_Sora (post: 1515419) wrote:I just finally finished Trigun! That was a long and dark series... -_- with such a bitter/sweet ending! I loved it! Anyway, I'm also reading Yu-Gi-Oh, I'm half way through vol. 1.

Haven't read the whole thing. Only finished up to volume 5 and read parts of the "teens." I must return to it soon. After all, I still lurve my Wolfwood!!!
Adorima

Postby EndearingHotaru » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Just finished reading Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler). Ahhhhh. o-e
ImageImageImage ImageImage
EndearingHotaru

Postby Blacklight » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:37 pm

I resumed The Wallflower after discovering that my library has more volumes. Aside from that, I don't think my reading list has changed as far as series go.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Land of the Blindfolded 8-9 (complete)- Cute, sweet, melodramatic end but overall quite a good read.

Dolls 1-4 (complete)- Cheap rip-off of Petshop of Horrors

Kamichama Karin 1-4- I luv whoever did the translation on this. There are tons of fabulous lines and the humor is spot-on. Story is fairly typical mahou shoujo, but the comedy brings this head and shoulders above the others.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 19-20: LOL-- Hachiken's brother's a bit dopey, but in a loveable way. :lol: And at least he helped keep their parents from bothering Hachiken, too. :grin:

Akagami no Shirayukihime chapter 27: Oh man... this couple. They are absolutely adorable. [color="Red"]<3[/color]

Mushishi (complete): Yet another series I decided to pick up because of Fish's "Manga Of The Month" thread (my thanks to Fish once again!). And, as expected, it was quite good. :) My only two minor complaints were [spoiler]its origination worldview and basically non-existent ending :sweat:... but the former was expected going in, and wasn't really blatant most of the time, anyway; and I suppose the latter wasn't really that much of a surprise either-- I just wished it would have felt a bit more like a finale, that's all (...well, that, or having had the writing/printing order of the last couple of chapters switched around, since IMO the two stories right before the finale were a bit stronger than the last one, and it would have been better to go out on the stronger story/stories). Oh, and unless you were supposed to recognize them later, the majority of the characters looked pretty much exactly the same, too. :P[/spoiler] But other than that-- and, as I said, that stuff is actually pretty minor-- it was great!

Voices Of A Distant Star: Also quite good. And yes, even though in cases where there are adaptations I almost always go with the original material, in this case I'm glad I went with the adaptation (rather than watching the original anime), considering the differences I've heard between the two. [spoiler]Particularly with the ending, where in the manga there's a beautiful certainty that they'll finally see each other again (yes! :jump:)-- as opposed to the anime, where I've heard that's absent. :shake:[/spoiler] So, yeah, definitely glad I went with the manga there!

And, finally, The Sigh Of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #2): Also great! With this second volume, Kyon has cemented his spot as my favorite first-person narrator :D, the stuff with Mikuru (or at least the descriptions of it, anyhow) got toned down to tolerable levels, and there were some really interesting developments in terms of knowledge about Haruhi and her powers. Plus some other new and interesting hints about the organizations the other SOS members belong to. AND the [spoiler]BEST. CAT. EVER! :lol:[/spoiler] Definitely looking forward to the next volume! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 am

Kimi ni Todoke chapter 62: We get to see more of Ryu and Chizuru's childhood, and the close bond they developed over that time. [spoiler]We also get to see Ryu's mom for the first time. Why she hasn't been seen before that flashback is a question the next chapter will hopefully answer.[/spoiler]

Fairy Tail chapter 260: [spoiler]I expected Porlyusica to be Grandeeney; but her actually being her human Edolas counterpart? Did not see that coming.
Grand Magic Games, huh? I guess the whole guild's gonna do some hard training with those three months they have.[/spoiler]

CrystalChalice

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Ookami-heika no Hanayome (Wolf King's Bride) Chapters 6 and 7.
I really love the couple in this one. The fact that each chapter seems to end with the king fighting an assassin or something has gotten a little old, but otherwise, it's a very good Manga.

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime (Red-haired Snow White) Chapter 12.
The start was a little too quick for me, the first chapter felt a bit rushed.
However, that doesn't really matter anymore since I'm slowly liking the characters and the couple more and more each chapter.

(If they made Wolf Kings Bride and Red-haired SW into anime, I would definitely watch.)

Skip Beat! Chapter 182.
I'm getting a little tired of the roles that Ren and Kyoko are playing, hopefully this arc will wrap up soon. (And I also hope that at the end of it, Kyoko will realize her feelings for Ren.)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:16 am

Black Jack 5-9- This is a very good manga. I've come to expect wonderful, amazing, moving stories whenever I pick up Tezuka's work, and this is no different. I really like how Tezuka deals with the issues of life and death, with quite an interesting main character.

Seikai Trilogy 1- I will probably finish this series by tonight. I really like how it deals with the ideas of being in the future, the politics, the language use it employs. It's a very engaging manga.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm

NG Life, Vol.2

And when you thought things couldn't get anymore complicated for Keidai...XD!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Yotsuba&! and Yu-Gi-Oh
This

Seto_Sora

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews