What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby AnimeFanatic11 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

As for me, I'm reading Bleach and Maid Sama! I'm more in2 Bleach rite now cuz Maid Sama is not as up to speed as far as uploading it goes but I love em both :D XD I'm so glad Ichigo got his powers back :)
I am falling in love with my own worst enemy- Kiyora from Forbidden :) my series
AnimeFanatic11

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 am

Re-reading the Color of Earth/Water/Heaven series. It's rare to find something that deals with the sexuality side of things without being crass- or dealing with it at all. I still really enjoy it.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Read volume 1 of Future Diary. This series is INTENSE!!!

Also read (and bought) volume 1 of Kingdom Hearts. This is a cute, fun little adventure.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Currently reading the second volume of Ouran High School Host Club. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 79-99. So yeah, I wanted to get past the race part, and just kept reading. Now I know some of Kurogane's past, yay!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Reading Alice in the country of hearts vol 5. Is there more after this?
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1511868) wrote:Reading Alice in the country of hearts vol 5. Is there more after this?

There is 1 more volume, but Tokyopop closed before it was published. You can only read it via scanlations.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:59 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1511868) wrote:Reading Alice in the country of hearts vol 5. Is there more after this?
Atria35 (post: 1511870) wrote:There is 1 more volume, but Tokyopop closed before it was published. You can only read it via scanlations.
Actually (and thankfully, since the scans I found of the final volume were nigh-incomprehensible!), Yen Press just rescued the license, and will be re-releasing the entire thing (including the missing finale) next year. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 am

Fairy Tail chapter 256: [spoiler] That was some severe mood whiplash I got in this chapter. Everyone's celebrating and having a party, as usual. Lyon crushing on Juvia and Juvia's relationship chart were hilarious. I also had a feeling Alzack and Bisca had a kid during those seven years.

Then came the last few pages....poor Lucy.:waah!:
Next chapter's definitely gonna be a tearjerker.[/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Blacklight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Decided to start Pandora Hearts, resumed Fullmetal Alchemist and InuYasha (still trying to find which volumes I left off of), and continuing The Record of a Fallen Vampire and Soul Eater.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Realized I hadn't been posting updates on what I've been reading for a little while (whoops! :red:)-- correcting that now...

*Completely new stuff:*

Coelacanth (complete): I stumbled across this 2-vol. manga at random. Since it looked interesting, but there weren't a whole lot of reviews or other info for it, I decided to just go ahead and take the chance. And, well... the art was good, at least. But, unfortunately, as for the story, there were a couple of... uh... kinda mature discussions, it wasn't as believable as it could have been, the pacing was way off, and there was not anywhere near enough empathy created with the reader for the characters (particularly the main male!). :forehead: So, yeah... *not* recommended. :eyeroll:

On the other hand... Akagami no Shirayuki Hime (chapters 1-26 so far): This is a manga I'd been hearing about for a while now, and it piqued my interest, so, once again, I just dove in. Thankfully, however, *this* one I thoroughly enjoyed! :jump: In fact, I loved everything about it-- the art (the characters are absolutely great-looking, I have a sudden desire to cosplay some of their outfits, and if those birds were real I'd seriously get one right now!), the setting, the characters (lead female: An apothecary who is smart, capable, and strong *without* being a tsundere; lead male: also smart, very perceptive, and warm; other characters: equally great), and a main relationship that (*gasp!*) is actually completely straightforward, progresses in a realistic manner at a realistic pace, and has pretty much no significant interference (despite some of the other characters' agendas/likes/desires)! So, in all, this is easily a new favorite of mine, and I totally can't wait for the next chapter! :thumb:

*New chapters and volumes of stuff I've been reading for a while:*

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 17: Poor Hachiken... :sweat:

Bamboo Blade vol. 10: Same as the other vol.'s in this particular series; nothing spectacular, but a decent read. :)

Vampire Knight vol. 13: Ah, so now we finally get the real backstory about Kaname-- glad to read it! (Though I am a little bit concerned about what's going to happen to Aido now...) Another great installment in the series.

Dengeki Daisy vol. 6: Ha! Probably this series' best volume yet-- it's continuing to get both a little less edgy and a little more awesome as it goes along. :)

And Bakuman vol. 7: I also loved this, as always. :) Plus, as a bonus, this volume actually seemed a bit funnier than usual, too!

So, between the solid new volumes of series I've been following and the addition of a brand-new favorite as well, I guess it's been some pretty good reading! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Finished the Color of Earth/Water/Heaven series. This is one of the most unique manhwa I've ever read. There's a lot that can be expressed without words. Most of it is told in a lyrical and almost poetic way, full of simile and metaphor. It also deals with romance and sex/sexuality in a way that I've never seen done before. However, those same topics mark this out for the more liberal reader.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:27 pm

An OEL called DramaCon, v 1-3 (complete). Genuinely funny, but it definitely has it's flaws.

One Piece v. 26-29- I think this might be my favorite arc so far.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am

13th Boy vol 3: This is a strange romance/magical manhwa. The main girl is really annoying, but I'm hoping the story gets good enough to cover for it.

So happy Alice in the Country of Hearts is getting picked up by Yen Press!
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:57 pm

After School Nightmare v 1-4- Very interesting premise. I really can't wait to see how it turns out!
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Started reading vol.2 of Rozen Maiden. This is REALLY DIFFERENT from the anime...
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:38 am

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 100-104. More and more unanswered questions. And I'm loving the running joke of Kurogane being the father and Fai the mother :lol: (Though I suppose this is one part where the yaoi fans go insane :eyeroll: )
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:12 am

After School Nightmare v 5-10 (complete)- I did not see that ending coming. Looking back there were hints, but I couldn't really piece them together, and I feel silly for it! What a great ending! I actually really enjoyed this!
Atria35

Postby Yukio Masachita » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Amnesia Labyrinth, the new manga by Nagaru Tanigawa who wrote The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I bought it as soon as I learnt that much.

As the back cover says, it involves an "offbeat tale of murder and twisted love".

Warning!: Major incest involved.
[SPOILER]Twisted love is right and thats what got me the most, it was totally unexpected and provocative at the same time. The main character, Souji Kushiki has three sisters: Youko is his full-blooded sister who is a total psycho and obsessively sexually harasses him and even strips naked in front of him in one scene; Harumi is his step sister, she does harbour romantic feelings for her brother but so far behaves innocent and doesn't make any moves on him. And then there's his half-sister, Saki. In one scene, she enters his bedroom and begins to undress but is interrupted when Youko cuts in. But then, in the next scene, Saki comes again and undresses then time passes over to the next morning where the reader sees her and Souji wake up naked beside each other, indicating they have a love affair.

It was totally unexpected and provocative at the same time, it burned in my mind. I kinda want to get the second volume to see what happens in the story but, to be honest, specifically Souji's relationship with his sisters since I wonder why they got tangled up like this in the first place. But at the same time, I know its gonna give me bad urges... again.[/SPOILER]
Yukio Masachita

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 am

Fairy Tail chapter 257: I really cried when I read this chapter.[spoiler]The letter Lucy got from her father was sad enough, but her reaction to it made it even sadder. I also found it sweet that Natsu was actually sensitive to her current situation.

On a lighter note, Makarov+Erza+Mirajane tandem beats Twilight Ogre anyday. [/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Decided to drop The Story Of Saiunkoku, a.k.a. Saiunkoku Monogatari (I'd read vol.'s 1-4), mainly because of a certain... uh... moral issue which (it appears) will have no real addressing. :shake: I mean, other than that, the characters and the overall story were interesting; but, in the end, I just didn't feel right reading it. :red:

That said :sweat:, here's what else I've been reading:

Gogo Monster (complete): Came across this post of TheSubtleDoctor's from a while back, and it sounded quite intriguing, so I decided to check it out. And it was indeed a good, intriguing read.

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 18: LOL. :grin:

Natsume's Book Of Friends, a.k.a. Natsume Yuujinchou, vol. 9: This series really is great. :) Natsume's innate desire to help others (be they human or yokai), no matter the cost to himself, is something to look up to; and I'm loving the slow and subtle plot progression and character development winding throughout the series, too. :thumb:

Finally, Pandora Hearts vol. 7: Well, some of the pieces are really coming together, aren't they? [spoiler]The revelation about the chains' true origins is... well, I won't say surprising, because it was pretty well hinted at with (B-Rabbit) Alice, after all. But to fully realize and let it sink in that every single chain you have seen or will see in the series was once a human being, well... that's a pretty horrible thought, to be honest. :eh: And I was definitely not expecting that one particular revelation about Break! Also in this volume: Some continuing character development on Oz's part, and an interesting hint or two about Gil... Oh, and (unfortunately, since I really like Elliot and Leo), now I've got a very bad feeling about Elliot's dream... :?:[/spoiler] So, in all (well, minus the apparently-now-obligatory 2-or-so-pages of wince-worthy imagery in every volume :P), this was another great vol. in the series. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ebonyrose » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 pm

I just finished Uzumaki. I'm a sucker for a short series. XD

Probably the most disturbing manga I've ever read. ._. I don't even know what to think of it, overall. Anyone else read it? Please, I need another opinion here. xD
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:49 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1513017) wrote:I just finished Uzumaki. I'm a sucker for a short series. XD

Probably the most disturbing manga I've ever read. ._. I don't even know what to think of it, overall. Anyone else read it? Please, I need another opinion here. xD

I have. I generally like Junji Ito (he's considered the Master of Horror over in Japan because he does horror manga really well, even won an award for it), but I wasn't fond of Uzumaki. Some of the things in it were really good and twisted, but I generally dislike characters in horror that are idiots. And *everyone* in that town had to be an idiot of immense magnitude in order to stick around with all those creepy things happening. I mean, think about everything it took to get their butts moving. They all deserve to be slapped.

I preferred his other works, to be truthful.

This is why I preferred Ibitsu- the stupidity was minimal, and how everyone came to the conclusions they did seemed perfectly logical given the circumstances.
Atria35

Postby ebonyrose » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:06 am

Atria35 (post: 1512111) wrote:Finished the Color of Earth/Water/Heaven series. This is one of the most unique manhwa I've ever read. There's a lot that can be expressed without words. Most of it is told in a lyrical and almost poetic way, full of simile and metaphor. It also deals with romance and sex/sexuality in a way that I've never seen done before. However, those same topics mark this out for the more liberal reader.

Hey, I was actually browsing through that at the library the other day. How liberal is liberal? ^_^]I have. I generally like Junji Ito (he's considered the Master of Horror over in Japan because he does horror manga really well, even won an award for it), but I wasn't fond of Uzumaki. Some of the things in it were really good and twisted, but I generally dislike characters in horror that are idiots. And *everyone* in that town had to be an idiot of immense magnitude in order to stick around with all those creepy things happening. I mean, think about everything it took to get their butts moving. They all deserve to be slapped.

I preferred his other works, to be truthful.

This is why I preferred Ibitsu- the stupidity was minimal, and how everyone came to the conclusions they did seemed perfectly logical given the circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I found that I didn't care much for the characters in Uzumaki because of how dense they were. Also, I was pretty perplexed by the fact that everyone kept calling Kyrie smart. O_o It's funny how it took them three volumes to finally realize, "OH! We should probably get out of here. Huh."

I'm always on the lookout for a good scare, so I'll definitely check out Ibitsu. I liked Ito's style in Uzumaki. Very gritty. Scared the living daylights out of me, at times. ^_^ Many thanks!
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:09 am

ebonyrose (post: 1513170) wrote:I'm always on the lookout for a good scare, so I'll definitely check out Ibitsu. I liked Ito's style in Uzumaki. Very gritty. Scared the living daylights out of me, at times. ^_^ Many thanks!

Warning- if you were reading Uzumaki in a bookstore, you will not find Ibitsu there. It's unlicensed.

Happy Happy Clover 1- So. Flipping. Adorable. In all the right ways.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 105-111

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:55 am

Happy Happy Clover v 2-5 (complete)- Good stuff. This is a great kid's manga, and reminds me of Arthur for the rest- sweet but not overpowering.

Return to the Labyrinth v 1-4 (complete)- Good but not fantastically so. I expected more.

Land of the Blindfolded
v 1-6- Above-average shoujo. It doesn't delve too deeply into the romantic hijinks, or lingers on them too long. I like that it takes itself seriously.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 pm

13th boy volumes 3-5: I'll admit, I mostly read it becuase of the cactus character.
wildpurplechild

Postby ebonyrose » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Atria35 (post: 1513306) wrote:Warning- if you were reading Uzumaki in a bookstore, you will not find Ibitsu there. It's unlicensed.

Library. ;D But doesn't unlicensed mean that the scanlation sites can host them legally? That's where I used to do all my reading, before Mangafox et al took all their manga down for licensing reasons or something. ._. (Was that earlier this year or what?)

Aaaand I'm actually reading Ibitsu now. :3 I'm enjoying it very much so far!
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote="ebonyrose (post: 1513881)"]Library. ]

Scanlation sites are illegal, period, whether or not the manga is licensed. They don't pay for the rights to host the manga from their creators, thereby ignoring copyright. So it's kind of up to the individual concience to use them.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews