What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1214241) wrote:No. This thread's had a successful run since mid-2004. A new thread is unnecessary.

Quoting this for repetition and emphasis as a mod. We don't need duplicates of this thread (or others) running around; this one is just fine as it is.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Karakuri Circus Volume 5

No real comments. This volume is basically just the one until my favorite character comes back and I get interested again.

Double Arts

New series. While it hasn't impressed me, per se, it does seem fairly unusual for a shonen title. That could become interesting or it could go the route of many other ideas that are untried because they don't work very well.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Finally got around to Rose Hip Zero vol. 2.

Just another girl-with-gun series, but the art style is fairly good, so I may gone on to vol. 3. Getting vol. 2 was kind of a didn't-know-what-to-purchase decision, frankly.

Hikaru no Go no. 9. This is turning into a really fun series.

In Japanese, just starting 'Five Star Stories' vol 2. (Used book store purchase, didn't realize it wasn't volume 1 until after I bought it.) Haven't got far enough into this to know whether it's any good.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Bride of the Water God Volume 2.

The first manga/manwha I was so desperate for I ordered it on-line. The art is still beautiful, and the plot is getting together. There are numerous small mysteries concerning characters histories, motivations, and and true intentions and it has me hooked. I just wish that there was more character development for the side characters and a better depiction of everyday court activities.

Furuba Volume 19.

Very interestingly revelations about Shigure and information on what Tohru was really feeling and thinking around the time her Mother died.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:40 am

Trying to catch up on Prince of Tennis. Right now, I am reading Prince of Tennis volume 13.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 am

Fruits Basket volume 14 (by the way, I really liked Yuki's parent-teacher conference in volume 13! Ayame is so hilarious...)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:47 am

D. Gray-Man volume 4.

Finally found it at the store the other day. Interesting enough to make me want to buy the next volume.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Got off my butt and read Deadman Wonderland. There's less violence, that made me feel better. The premise and characters and the sequence of events are just so ridiculous and absurd... I really like it. >_>; I feel that this is one of the only manga I've read very recently that has been able to affect me emotionally in some parts, but that might just be the violence and shock factor.

Caught up about 20 chapters of Mx0. I am reminded of why this is the only Jump series I'm following-- sure, some of the powers are really contrived and the challenges are uninspired, but at least one matchup doesn't take 7 chapters to finish. Taiga is pretty much the most badass of all weak underdog liars in manga.

(Also, anyone saw the most recent chapter of Detective Conan? I about screamed and laughed my head off. Amazing stuff.)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby kryptech » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Avatar: The Last Airbender, vol 1
Not to my taste.

Kekkaishi, vol 1
I'd read a later volume some time back and thought I should start from the beginning. It doesn't strike me as overly gripping but I'll continue onto vols 2 and 3 and see how it goes.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Tried out a new one: Yozakura Quartet

Not brilliant, but not bad for a volume 1. Nice art style. I'll check out volume 2, see if it gets rolling.

'Five Star Stories' - little progress. I've been busy.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Sirahime-Syo
Found this at a used bookstore and decided to pick it up, despite having been disappointed about the last CLAMP title I tried. It wasn't bad. Had a very fairytale feel to it.

D. Gray-man volume 5
I'm getting more and more interested in this series. It doesn't seem nearly as episodic as it did in the beginning.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Metroid Volume 1

There is, of course, a manga. I ran across it recently and decided to give it a quick read. Basic backstory, though I find the art style mildly distracting - Samus looks wrong to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby RobinSena » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:00 am

D.N.Angel volume 1. I'm definitely enjoying it, although I'm not sure how after transforming, he's instantly like "I wonder if I have another person in my DNA??" XD
RobinSena

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:48 pm

Reading Rurouni Kenshin volume 15.
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby RobinSena » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 am

Read D.N.Angel volume 2 last night.
RobinSena

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Togari Volumes 1-3

I'm remarkably neutral about this so far: it seems neither standard nor innovative. The fact that it is completed is a draw, however, so I will give it a while longer. Also, my efforts to count the protagonist's total are constantly foiled by slight time skips and the announcement of a new number.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Stray Little Devil vol.4.Now I need to get volumes 5 and 1 to round the whole series out.Only 5 volumes!But great fun.At least I enjoyed it a lot.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aleolus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:31 am

Currently reading through Karin (Chibi Vampire in the English, horrid name!), Omamori Himari and Kanokon. All of which are very good, if somewhat ecchi, series.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Legends of the Dark Crystal Vol. 1
GhostontheNet

Postby kryptech » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:22 am

Kekkaishi vols 2 & 3
For the most part I'm finding the series quite enjoyable. And it is great to finally find a series for which the library has the *entire* completed collection.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby minakichan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Boku ni Natta Watashi.

It's... exactly like Hana Kimi, except funnier, and with a lot more sexuality. The characters are pretty unbelievable and the plot is a bit senseless, but wow, I really like it. The sequential art blew me away in some parts, a feeling I haven't had in FOREVER. I knew Shimaki Ako's work before from "1/3 no Kareshi," which I absolutely adored (despite the fact that it's sensei-ai); I really love her art style, but Boku ni Natta Watashi is SUCH a step-up. The panelling and composition on some pages made me gasp aloud.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:23 am

Blade of the Immortal vol. 4-5
Vinland Saga vol. 2

Anotsu is impressive today. He's managed to justify knocking your enemy down to 1 HP and walking away.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sheenar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Finally finished Fruits Basket! I must say I really enjoyed the series!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Togari Volumes 4-6

Given that there are only eight, I'm obviously on the last arc. In retrospect, I think I was more fascinated by the ideas surrounding a person being released from hell for ulterior motives than I was by the quality. I'll still finish it, though, because it isn't a terrible series by any means.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Emerald COMPLETED

Cinematic one shot by Hiroaki Samura dealing with the American West.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 pm

Finished Prince of Tennis vol.13 and Rurouni Kenshin vol.15. Finally going to read Dragon Drive volume 5. Dragon Drive is fine, but there are other manga that are so much better.
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 am

I'm reading Trigun Maximum for the second time. It's so much better after you read it through once and see the anime twice. I'm on volume 8 or 9 right now.
(December can't come fast enough.....arrrgh!)
I'm also reading the original Speed Racer :thumb:
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Togari Volumes 7-8

This did not end how I predicted at all. If this was canceled by the publisher, the author did an incredible job of giving it a solid (even elegiac) ending. If this was the intentional ending, that's a strange choice.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 6
Emerald COMPLETED
Hotel COMPLETED

Bit early to call but Blade of the Immortal is shaping up to take FullMetal Alchemist's #2 rank like the carpet from under its feet.

Emerald and Hotel, two one shots from two different authors. Western and science fiction. If haven't read them, do so. Now.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Under Fish's recommendation, Hotel, by Boichi.

Saddest 42 pages I have ever read. D:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews