What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:29 pm

MasterDias wrote:-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Volumes 29-37
Creative and entertaining abilities, but the translation for this part is pretty bad.

So you finished Part IV? I got to 30 or so before other obligations prevented me from reading further. Does it ever get, well, a plot?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Volumes 38-39

So you finished Part IV? I got to 30 or so before other obligations prevented me from reading further. Does it ever get, well, a plot?

The answer to the first question would be a negative. IV lasts until Volume 47, I think, so I'm over halfway or maybe almost 3/4's of the way there.

For the second question, this isn't really a spoiler but I guess I'll put this in brackets just the same:
[spoiler]Yeah, it gets a plot, although it's probably more laid-back initially than III was. The earlier volumes mainly consisted of trying to track down the missing Bow-and-Arrow and the encounters with the stand-users it created, most of whom become allies once they get beat up.
Only recently it introduced the main antagonist, a stand-powered serial killer. Where I'm at, the protagonists are trying to hunt him down.[/spoiler]
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Reading
Dragon Drive volume 3
Shonen Jump vol. 11 Nov. 2007

Recently read:
FullMetal Alchemist chapter 76
Naruto chapter 375
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Sheenar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:17 pm

I just finished the first Fruits Basket manga on Monday. I've seen the series, but I must say I really enjoyed the manga too! It's so hilarious! Shigure's quips and comments are especially humorous!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:26 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volume 37

I was seriously wrong about how far I'd gotten, so my question to MasterDias accomplished next to nothing. Ten more volumes to go, I suppose. I have hope for Parts V and VI, as they have more unusual protagonists.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:46 am

Mushishi Volume 2. Absolutely no drop at all in quality from the first. This is one of the most amazing 'serious' manga I have ever read, and truly beautiful artwork.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby MasterDias » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:43 am

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Volumes 40-47

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:02 pm

Shin Angyo Onshi Volumes 2+

I'm finally getting through this rough period in school, so I'm easing back into reading manga again. This series continues to be enjoyable, but my previous comments stand.
uc pseudonym

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Well, for me it's...

Reading:
Magical x Miracle 1-5 (I'm waiting to get 6. It's the last one) (THE best manga series. Ever. ...Ever. Yeah.)

Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho (My friend only has the first one, but it's funny. There are...three so far?)

DeathNote (pretty much self-explanatory)

My Cat Loki (Ehh, there was a almost bad picture in the first volume. I took a sharpie to it. :lol: , but it has a good storyline. I've only read the first one.)

Already Read:
Rockman.EXE 1-13 (Wow. This was my first manga! In the english version, it's VERY kid friendly!)

The VERY unknown Rockman Zero manga-ette (Not really a full manga series, but almost)

I'd be willing to write a review for any of these series! Just ask!
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Netbug009 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I read One Piece 1 today. I've been going through OP 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 a lot, since those are what I have and I'm currently starting to love that series again. I plan to get some fines off my library card so I can borrow more. The library here always has the new stuff from Shonen Jump. :D
Netbug009

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 pm

Melty Blood vol. 1-3
Saiyuki vol. 1
Steel Ball Run vol. 1-5

Saiyuki was a blind purchase, and after finishing it, I'm not sure I'd continue. It's decent, but lacks the compulsion to bother to continue reading. Steel Ball Run would be JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part VII, which I jumped ahead to for lack of suitable scans for Parts IV, V, and VI (the existing scans for Part IV being notoriously bad). It's certainly proving to be my favorite arc so far, combing several good elements from previous arcs into the current story.

Melty Blood is an adaptation from the Doujin game based in the Type-Moon/Tsukihime universe. I find it to be fairly good, but it caters to fans of Type-Moon, deliberately leaving out some information for those unfamiliar.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:34 pm

Shin Angyo Onshi Volumes 5-13

What can I say? The storyline sucked me in and now I want to see its resolution. Though around 8-10 I felt the series lost its original flavor, the elements that have been brought into play work well and I expect big things to come. Unfortunately, only 14 volumes have been translated...

Fish and Chips wrote:I find it to be fairly good, but it caters to fans of Type-Moon, deliberately leaving out some information for those unfamiliar.

There is a Tsukihime manga as well, which makes the Melty Blood one much easier. Neither is finished, however.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:48 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:There is a Tsukihime manga as well, which makes the Melty Blood one much easier. Neither is finished, however.

I read somewhere that Tsukihime chapters are released on a quarterly schedule, hence the delay. Still, its a good adaptation of the source material, so provided it finishes within my lifetime, I can wait.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Shin Angyo Onshi Volume 14

Given that everything in the past has been resolved and the protagonist is no longer dead, I expect the last three volumes to be the climactic finish. I have to say that the villain has done a better job of being evil than many (creepy and sadistic but fairly subtle).
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Still reading Dragon Drive vol. 3
Read:
Naruto chap. 376
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby MasterDias » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Shin Angyo Onshi Volume 14

Given that everything in the past has been resolved and the protagonist is no longer dead, I expect the last three volumes to be the climactic finish. I have to say that the villain has done a better job of being evil than many (creepy and sadistic but fairly subtle).

So do you recommend this series, then? I think I read a chapter or two a few years ago, but never read any more.

MasterDias

Postby Haruhiko » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Reading:

REBORN!
Death Note

Hoping to read soon:

Black Cat
Rurouni Kenshin
Shaman King
Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Blue Heaven Volumes 1-3

That is the complete story, I believe. While it had a lot of potential, in the end I was disappointed. Good characterization and an interesting premise, but I think it ultimately failed in its attempt to be an exploration of the darker side of humanity.

MasterDias wrote:So do you recommend this series, then? I think I read a chapter or two a few years ago, but never read any more.

It receives a mid-level recommendation from me. If you're willing to stick through a few rough spots, it becomes a very solid fantasy series. Parts of it feel like a shorter Berserk in the sense of being epic and involving supreme beings.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:37 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Blue Heaven Volumes 1-3

That is the complete story, I believe. While it had a lot of potential, in the end I was disappointed. Good characterization and an interesting premise, but I think it ultimately failed in its attempt to be an exploration of the darker side of humanity.

It receives a mid-level recommendation from me. If you're willing to stick through a few rough spots, it becomes a very solid fantasy series. Parts of it feel like a shorter Berserk in the sense of being epic and involving supreme beings.

i was quite intrigued about this series also. i have not read it, but it does look mighty interesting. the author is known to have written quite a number of odd manga series (such as Black & White)...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby minakichan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Mx0, 21st Century Boys, and Pluto. When I can get them. They're all great.

Generally, I've been putting long series on hold. I've wanted to reread Houshin Engi and get caught up on Katekyo Hitman Reborn, but I haven't been in the mood. I've started up some pretty promising-looking newly-scanlated shoujo series like Spicy Pink, Papillon, and Mademoiselle Butterfly, which have been amazing so far. Unfortunately, I think Papillion might end up being sensei-love, so I might end up dropping it, which is a shame because I loved Peach Girl
minakichan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:45 pm

minakichan wrote:Mx0, 21st Century Boys, and Pluto. When I can get them. They're all great.

21st Century Boys! 8DD Excellent end to an excellent series. Still reading through Pluto, myself. Nice to see another Urasawa fan, though! :DD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 pm

minakichan wrote:21st Century Boys, and Pluto. When I can get them. They're all great.

Another Urasawa fan has entered the Internets.

*Hands you a Sadakiyo-Mask-Shaped Cookie*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm

Heck freaking yes. Urasawa fans unite!! (Embarrassing, but... I actually had a dream about Monster last night. XD)

*chomp*
Can I get a cake shaped like Urasawa!Atom's head too? XD
minakichan

Postby Mave » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:42 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Shin Angyo Onshi Volume 14

What?! That means my latest read isn't *that* new. I'm still going through the flashback and Munsu is still dead. XD

I enjoy this series because the villian is exactly as you say. [spoiler]I was totally creeped out when he revealed that he ate the king the very moment he met him. That ruled out the cliche storyplot that I originally thought was the case here ('two friends fighting over the same girl?')[/spoiler]I still think that Munsu was a little too attached to this girl. Otherwise, I would have considered him more cool. Actually, he reminds me of Cowboy Bebop Spike a bit.
Mave

Postby Haruhiko » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am

Just finished REBORN! volume one, and Death Note volumes 1 and 2. I'll be reading the third one tonight. I absolutely LOVE Death Note now.
Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:09 pm

minakichan wrote:Mx0, 21st Century Boys, and Pluto. When I can get them. They're all great.

The local Urasawa fans are going to swarm around you now (myself included).

Mave wrote:What?! That means my latest read isn't *that* new. I'm still going through the flashback and Munsu is still dead. XD

All of volume 14 is translated (Classic 20, parts K-O). The flashback material ends at that point and the scenes in present time have just resolved. If you're at the revelation you mentioned in spoiler tags you're pretty close.

Mave wrote:I still think that Munsu was a little too attached to this girl. Otherwise, I would have considered him more cool. Actually, he reminds me of Cowboy Bebop Spike a bit.

After the first several chapters I became less fond of him (I liked that the cheap tactics version). To be honest I'm reading more for the villain than anyone else. Sando would be my favorite character, but she needs an outfit that makes any sense whatsoever (though the cloak and hair bit is cool).
uc pseudonym

Postby chimera189 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:32 pm

Hayate the Combat Butler v.1
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:37 pm

fellow Urasawa fan, hello and welcome to CAA! hope you find your time here enjoyable. it's good to see that you have such a nice taste of manga! :thumb:
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:25 am

Gah! I just realized that the 4th volume of Kitchen Princess came out yesterday!!!

*must look for it, maybe online*

So yeah, Kitchen Princess...and I'm working on a review for that as well. :)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Reading Dragon Drive volume 4.
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews