What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby sstohru » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 am

I haven't gotten the chance to read any manga recently, but when I get the chance I'll be continuing DragonBall vol. 7, and reading the latest volume of Fruits Basket. I love that series, both the manga and the anime. Oh, and I'll also start reading Deathnote.
sstohru

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Read chapters 2-4 of 21st Century Boys. I plan to finish it this weekend. :DD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Newest Shonen Jump

There is less and less reason to keep reading this all the time. Bleach is a good series, but I feel like I just read everything they're running. At least this is a good part; I have even less to look forward to concerning Naruto. And Yu Yu Hakusho is going to end before too long...
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:09 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Newest Shonen Jump

There is less and less reason to keep reading this all the time. Bleach is a good series, but I feel like I just read everything they're running. At least this is a good part; I have even less to look forward to concerning Naruto. And Yu Yu Hakusho is going to end before too long...

well, you do have One Piece still. however, that's the kind of series that one will either like or dislike. hikaru no go's not too bad. unfortunately, yugioh and bobobo are really killing SJ (in my opinon)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 am

21st Century Boys, chapters 5-7.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:56 am

Monster volume 18. i have finished Monster for the second time!! now, i must start back on 20th Century Boys...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:54 pm

21st Century Boys, chapters 8-16.

This series is love.

Radical Dreamer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Do you have scans or are you doing the raw/translation thing?

jon_jinn wrote:well, you do have One Piece still. however, that's the kind of series that one will either like or dislike. hikaru no go's not too bad. unfortunately, yugioh and bobobo are really killing SJ (in my opinon)

One Piece is at least new to me (at least until the Skypeia arc), but I am not a fan of the series for many reasons. I have also become an un-fan of Hikaru no Go after giving it as much of a chance as I could justify.
uc pseudonym

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:48 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Do you have scans or are you doing the raw/translation thing?

RAWs and translations, aside from chapter 1 (which I read a few weeks ago). It's the only chapter I've found scanned. The other 15 are all RAW, with no hint of when or if they'll be scanlated. The translations I used were pretty good, though.

Radical Dreamer

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:RAWs and translations, aside from chapter 1 (which I read a few weeks ago). It's the only chapter I've found scanned. The other 15 are all RAW, with no hint of when or if they'll be scanlated. The translations I used were pretty good, though.

you can understand japanese? it must be pretty hard to read the raws. but any die-hard Urasawa fan would do that.

UC Pseudonym wrote:One Piece is at least new to me (at least until the Skypeia arc), but I am not a fan of the series for many reasons. I have also become an un-fan of Hikaru no Go after giving it as much of a chance as I could justify.

well, everyone has their personal tastes...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:24 pm

jon_jinn wrote:you can understand japanese? it must be pretty hard to read the raws. but any die-hard Urasawa fan would do that.

Goodness, no. I had the scans in RAW format, but I had a Word document of translations for each page right next to them. XD It's a more tedious way of reading manga, but it works when you need it.

Radical Dreamer

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:45 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Goodness, no. I had the scans in RAW format, but I had a Word document of translations for each page right next to them. XD It's a more tedious way of reading manga, but it works when you need it.

i see...you could translate it and re-upload it in english!! i'm just kidding...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:14 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i see...you could translate it and re-upload it in english!! i'm just kidding...

XD If only. The site where I got the translations explicitly stated that they were not to be used to make scans. Fail. D:

Radical Dreamer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Ubel Blatt Volumes 1-3
Metal Heart Volume 1
Zero Volumes 1-2

One of my classes was canceled today and I found a new manwha site. Some of it was worthless, some enjoyable.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Recently read:
Naruto Shippuden chap. 369-370
FullMetal Alchemist chap. 26 and 27
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 12
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby chelle0227 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:33 pm

The manga I am reading now is
Tokyo Boys and girls
Footprints in the sand by Carolyn Joyce Carty

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the lord.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of foot prints in the sand: one belonging to him the other to the lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the foot prints in the sand.

He noticed that name times along the path of his life there was only one set o footprints.

He also noticed that it was at the lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the lord about it:

"lord, you said once i decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But i have noticed during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of foot prints. I dont understand why when i needed you most you would leave me."

The lord replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that i carried you."
chelle0227

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:19 pm

21st Century Boys (bit by bit)
ChunRangYulJun Volumes 1-3
DollGun Volume 1

Other than being pleased to see the first of these and enjoying Naoki Urasawa's writing, I have no real comments.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:12 pm

I still can't believe they put Yu Gi Oh GX in Shonen Jump...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 pm

FullMetal Alchemist, volume 11. Finally. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 pm

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Up to chapter 76

Somewhat entertaining action/martial arts series that is currently running in Shonen Sunday. Other than that, there isn't really much to say.

Newest Shonen Jump

Yeah, I doubt I'll resubscribe after this year's issues run out. I don't care for Yugioh GX and Bobobo at all, and of the others only Yu Yu Hakusho and Hikaru no Go are new to me...and I've never found the latter all that great anyway.
And it takes up a lot of space, or am I the only guy who kept all of his issues...

But maybe I'll pick up the last few YYH volumes or something, as I did want to finish that series at least.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:22 am

No, I keep all my Shonen Jumps too. I keep manga I only sort of like XD Well, CLAMP's Wish made me ill, so I burned that.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:38 pm

I really have no idea what to do with all my old Shonen Jumps. It feels wrong to recycle them, but the chances of using them are relatively low. Some day this will have to be resolved, but for the moment I'm putting it off.

Tsukihime Volumes 1-4

Another case of an H game turning into an interesting and surprisingly inoffensive (if you don't mind blood) manga.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Eyeshield 21 volume 16
Blade of the Immortal volume 17
Getbackers volume 20

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Tsukihime Volume 5

Alright, forget what I said about the inoffensive part. Random rape scene. Meanwhile, I'm delving into shonen again with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:33 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volumes 1-20

Mostly due to Fish and Chips' suggestion. Great fun, though the age of the first two arcs definitely shows. Midway through the third arc, I can see why it is the most popular.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:15 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volumes 1-20

holy cheese!! 20 volumes in one day?!?! i have never seen anything like that!!! hey UC, if you finish the series, would you mind writing up a review for it?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Myoti » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:46 pm

hey UC, if you finish the series, would you mind writing up a review for it?

If the series ended already, he could. I think it's already up to around 80 volumes (though split into different parts).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 pm

I meant to mention that those 20 volumes were over a longer period of time, but I forgot when making the actual post. I do not have that much time on my hands. Also, I'm pretty sure that much JJBA would melt your brain.

The series is one of the longest running shonen, actually, as it's still going at 90+ volumes. Still, I think with this kind of series we might be able to justify a review. After that many volumes, I don't think there will be anything all that shocking to a reader that has stuck with the series.

As far as reading:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volume 21
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Volume 8
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Recently read:
Naruto chap 372
FullMetal Alchemist chap. 73, 74, 75

Finishing up Rurouni Kenshin volume 12
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby MasterDias » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:42 am

uc pseudonym wrote:The series is one of the longest running shonen, actually, as it's still going at 90+ volumes. Still, I think with this kind of series we might be able to justify a review. After that many volumes, I don't think there will be anything all that shocking to a reader that has stuck with the series.

Well, since each arc is technically a self-contained story for the most part and features a different set of protagonists (and the current one, Steel Ball Run, takes place in an alternate universe I think, even if it is considered JJBA Part 7), would it be possible for whoever reviews the series to review each arc separately?
...or would that add clutter to the database?

Anyway:

Currently reading: Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Read the other day:
Dragon Ball, Volume 8
Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews