I can't seem to make capital words.

Talk about anything in here.

I can't seem to make capital words.

Postby ZiP » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:16 pm

why cant i make capital words?
this thing wont let me make a whole word big capitol like. :(
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby inkhana » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:52 pm

If you mean what I think you mean, I imagine the forum software prevents all-caps to stop "shouting", which is considered rude. That's how it works on Invision boards, anyway...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Shinja » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:03 pm

S T O P - S H O U T I N G :lol:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:40 pm

Hmm... that's new... I don't caps spam the boards, but I usually use caps for emphasis because it's so much easier than using boldcase and does boldcase really come across as shouting? I don't think that one or two words in caps is bad netiquitte. MAN...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:43 pm

This sounds like a challenge... Let's find out if the board is preprocessing phrases. All you have to do is convert to character entities...

Non entities:
THIS IS A TEST OF ALL CAPS TYPING!

Entities:

:evil:
Mithrandir

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:44 pm

What!?!?!?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:45 pm

I think it's just keeping the whole message from being in caps... Which is good, because that's very annoying...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:45 pm

Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:46 pm

Looks like CEs still work, even if it's all caps...

To answer the 'what?' comment, character entieties are ordinal representations of the data. For example, the text I typed above was really made by typing:

It get's more complex because you have to type it as '&#' . the ord (prepadded with zeros prefered) . ;

Better?
Mithrandir

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:46 pm

(sorry to doublepost, but it's important to preserve my last message for this off-topic post!)

Um... off-topic, but I found the little coincidence of my last message followed by my sig a little funny... Maybe the sleep is still wearing off, though...
Bobtheduck

Postby inkhana » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:55 pm

Maybe it only applies to titles? Hmm...weird...but no, I don't generally consider a few words in caps shouting either, depending on context and whether or not they're bring substituted for italics.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:02 pm

If the post (or title) starts out in CAPS (or maybe has more caps than not..?) It seems to do it (see my threads in testing for the case study). However, the CE trick seems to work in titles as well, though you are limited to the number of characters you can use. A title can only be 85 characters.

What an odd number... DJ? Ideas...?
Mithrandir

Postby madphilb » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:18 pm

Oldphil, could you edit your one post explaining the entities so that people don't have to scroll 3x there screen width to read others posts (not that the whole thread isn't annoying enough as it is :D )

PHIL
madphilb

Return to General